St. Louis ChapterExploring the Value of Voluntary Benefits to Your Organization
May 21, 2013
Dallas ChapterPlay or Pay-The 2014 Employer Healthcare Mandate
May 21, 2013
Chicago ChapterHealthcare Reform - Regulatory Update and Action Steps
May 22, 2013
WEB Chapters Help Benefits Professionals Face the ACA Challenge
WEB Chapters sponsor both educational and networking events, generally every month. These events offer WEB members and nonmembers the opportunity to stay up to date on the latest trends, issues and solutions for managing benefits. What you learn at these events from the subject matter experts, including government officials, plan sponsors, benefits managers, attorneys and consultants, will help you in your job and career.
Among the challenges facing benefits professionals this year is how the Affordable Care Act will change benefits design, management and participant communications. Monitor the Chapter Events menu for more information on these and other activities sponsored by your local Chapter.
Featured Technical Articles
WEB members can access technical articles submitted by legal experts and others. Recent postings on the Technical Articles page include:
- March 22, 2013 — The Ninth Circuit joined one circuit split by deferring to the DOL's interpretation that the safe harbor from fiduciary liability in Section 404(c) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA) does not apply to a fiduciary's selection of investment funds and joined a separate circuit split by applying Firestone deference to breach of fiduciary duty claims (and not just benefit claims). Posted by Practical Law Company, Inc.
- March 12, 2013 — Expatriate Plans Receive Extra Time for Health Care Reform Compliance. The Department of Labor (DOL) issued a frequently asked question (FAQ) that offers transitional relief to expatriate health plans under health care reform. Posted by Practical Law Company, Inc.
- March 11, 2013 — DOL Issues Model MAP-21 Supplement to the Annual Funding Notice for Pension Plans. Provides the model supplement to annual funding notices required for certain single-employer defined benefit plans. Posted by Practical Law Company, Inc.
- March 1, 2013 — Cost-Sharing Limits for Health Plans. Beginning in 2014, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires certain health plans to comply with cost-sharing limits for coverage of essential health benefits. This article provides information on affected plans and their limits under ACA.
- February 6, 2013 — Be Aware of Three Changes to HIPAA Privacy Rules. HHS releases final rules (553-pages) and this article focus on the impact on privacy notices, business associate agreements and breach notifications; by Fritz Hewelt, Benefit Compliance Solutions LLC.